Monday, December 12, 2011

Greatest Gifts

December 12, 2011
It has been a while since I posted in this blog.  I have tried to put cancer in the back of my mind and focus on Christmas instead.  I have been feeling strong and good.  It is hard to decide what I should do and what I shouldn’t do.  I have been out a little every day getting ready for Christmas.  It is so nice to get out.  I usually have someone with me, but I have been by myself.
I thought you would like an update.  We don’t know if the insurance is going to cover another transplant.  The insurance required more results.  The week before last I went through a series of tests. I got the results at my doctor’s appointment last Wednesday.  The cancer is in remission.  We are planning like the insurance will cover another transplant.  I am scheduled for more tests after Christmas to make sure everything is good to go.  I am scheduled to start the transplant the first week of January which is only a few weeks away.   
I loved this and wanted to end with it.  It is a quote from someone who has multiple myeloma too.  It is like she could see into my heart and express how I feel.
“Cancer, in many ways, has not been my greatest gift but my greatest teacher. My greatest gifts are my family and friends.  I am so thankful for my family. I know, without a doubt, that I would not have survived this past year without them.  The experience, or journey of cancer has helped open my eyes to discover a truer or deeper meaning of love, compassion and hope.  I know that I still have a long way to go.  I have much to learn.  But I smile, as I sit here and type, thinking that I can savor the journey.  There is no rush.  I've got the time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment