Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Stem Cells Birthday

October 4, 2011
Today I received my stem cells.  They were brought into the room in a barrel with liquid Nitrogen.  When the barrel was open it looked like Halloween with dry ice foaming out.  The stem cells were stored in an aluminum casing which had to be handled with a damp towel.  The case was then open and the stem cells were in a little bag that looked like an IV fluid bag.  The bag had to be defrosted in a machine that brought them to almost room temperature.  The stem cells were attached to the port line and allowed to drip in.  I had three bags and it took about an hour for all three, after they gave me 2 IV of fluid which took a couple of hours.
The staff came in and sang Happy Birthday to me and gave me a Birthday certificate and a present.  It was a beautiful afghan.  It was a new beginning for the new cells to take over.  It was a fun surprise.  The staff is so kind and caring.  I have had a great experience at the BMT Clinic.
I was tired when I got home and did a relaxation tape and fell asleep for about 2 ½ hours.  I woke up and was feeling pretty good.  I am weak and more tired but able to get around. 
I received some lovely get well cards with great messages this afternoon.  I feel so blessed everyday by the love that is shared my way.  I don’t know how to express it any better, but know that I love you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment