Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Transplant Schedule

September 14, 2011

I received my next round of appointments late yesterday afternoon.  I will get a bunch of tests taken on Septemer 23, meet with my doctor on September 28 and start transplant on September 30.  The tranpslant starts with chemo drugs for 2 days, off 2 days and more chemo drugs for 2 days.  The next day they will graft the stem cells back in.  Then it will take approximately 3 weeks to build back up.  This is a crucial time not to get an infection or illness. 

I will have some time to get my strength built up a little before.  I met with a physical therapist today and worked through some exercises and stretches that will help build my body for the next two weeks.  These are exercises that I can do at home.  I will do them three days a week and do some other form of exercise like walking the other days.  They are simple yet very effective.  I will meet with the therapist again next week to adjust my exercises.

I feel like I am at base camp resting for the ascent wondering if I will make it to the top.  It seems overwhelming when I think about it.  Yet, I know the nurses that will be helping me and  trust their expertise.  I know that I will come out of this it is just a matter of taking one day at a tme. 

We feel very fortunate and humbled by all the help we have received.  Know my family loves you and appreciates your concern for us.  I am up for any visits during this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment